Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Possibly the Final Post from China

This may be my last post from China.  We have had an amazing trip but we are anxious to get home to sleep in our own beds and do some laundry.  We are also feeling the need to get back into some kind of routine; it will help everyone.

On Monday we went shopping at the big seven story mall.  There is a whole floor of pearl wholesalers and we bought Maia a string to give to her on her wedding day.  Darryl also bought me a new piece of jade, which I love.  What a great husband.

On Tuesday we went to the consulate and took our oath of adoption and filed the final paperwork for Maia's visa to the US.  It was quick but meaningful.

Then we went out to Shamian Island to do some more shopping.  The island really caters to adoptive families, with lots of little shops full of Chinese souvenirs.  We bought quite a few things for very little money.  Ethan got something really cool, but I'll wait until we are home to tell you about it.

Today was the trip to the Guangzhou zoo.  It's very different from US zoos; we were able to get very close to the animals.  There are two pandas there and we got lots of great pictures.  We also went to a "Sea World" style show with dolphins and a seal. It was really fun.

Unfortunately on my way out of the water show my ankle turned and I fell flat on my face.  Now I have a very bruised and skinned knee as well as a swollen ankle. Good thing we are going home in less than 48 hours, as walking is difficult. I plan to take a tylenol pm to get to sleep tonight but don't know how I will feel in the morning.

We all really liked the zoo in spite of my little episode, and Maia was really excited the whole day.  She is having so many new experiences, it is really fun watch.

This seems like a good day to post some of the funny things we have seen on our trip.  We have had fun taking pictures of signs where the meaning is lost in translation.

Okay, this one was over the urinal in a public bathroom.  We think it means, "hey guys, be civilized!  Step closer!"

This one was on the door of the WC on the train.  You couldn't use it while the train was stopped because the toilets were basically just a hole that opened onto the track.....you get the picture.

Um. Yeah.

Over the treadmills at RT Mart.

Really, I have no idea.

Clear enough.

We think this one means no parkour.  Not sure.

Okay, this one is my favorite.  Darryl bought a traditional Chinese flute and this was the description.  I especially like the parts about moldy and mange.
Here are a few pictures from the last couple of days.  The next time I write it will probably be from home.
With our friends the Wessels, who we met in Nanchang.

Our guide in Nanchang, Mary.

In the lobby at the Garden.

Ethan.  I think he might be striding.  That's against the sign.

Girls in their new qi paos.

Yes, they are strange.  This was when I left them on their own for a little while.  You see how much they need me.

The Canton Tower.  We saw this on the river cruise on Monday night.  Our guide says it is the tallest tower in the world.  I'm not sure she is right, but it is really, really tall.  The only thing I have to compare it to is the Space Needle, and the Canton Tower is three times taller than the Space Needle.  You just can't imagine or tell from the picture how big it is.  And the thing that was most amazing to me was that it didn't exist when we were here six years ago.

These girls were all in our group and got to be good friends over the week.  They are going to miss each other.

Ethan tried on this jacket.  He looks Mahvelous.

Panda!

At the water show, right before my little accident.

White tiger at the zoo.

1 comment:

  1. Mindy,your posts have been such fun to read--I love technology! And your pictures are great, too. Hope the ankle is better--safe travels home! Love from Sandy and Dick

    ReplyDelete